Lala Aufsberg (1907-1976) began her training as a photo dealer in Oberstdorf in 1932 and from 1938 attended the state school for handicrafts and applied arts in Weimar, photography department under Walter Hege. In July 1938 she passed the master's examination for the photography trade, returned to Sonthofen in the same year and opened a photo studio. In 1937 and 1938 she documented the Nazi party rallies in Nuremberg. She received her first artistic commission in 1941/1942, during which she photographed the wall paintings in churches and monasteries in Carinthia and, in another commission, those in Styria.
In 1976/1977 and 1996 the “German Documentation Center for Art History” - Bildarchiv Foto Marburg acquired the Lala-Aufsberg-Archiv with approx. 46,000 art-historical black and white negatives and 103,000 photos. The main focus is on southern Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece and Egypt.